An interesting interplay of Constraints and Decisions occur when an Enterprise Architect navigates through the Business, Data, Application and Technology architecture domains.
- While there is plenty of options, business wants to bet on a certain horse for competitive advantage. A Decision and an initial Constraint are created. This is a decision articulated by a Business Architect. (the suffix is optional. it could be your business head making this decision). E.g., Go Public cloud for B2B processes
- The Business Architecture (BA) decision acts as a 'constraint' for the data architect who then makes business Data decisions within this boundary without compromising architectural viewpoints. E.g., Public and Transaction data goes on the public cloud; Private and Sensitive data in a Private cloud.
- Likewise, an Application Architect (AA) ensures alignment to constraints above and makes decisions among the business application options without compromising on application road-map.
- Where there is an exemption required they raise an Architectural Exemption that goes up the value chain as feedback.
- The decisions made by the AA acts as a constraint to the Technology Architect (TA) in the choice they then make hence articulate their Technology Decisions.
Conscious Decision is a practical container for well articulated and properly aligned architectural decisions.
Post a Comment
What do you think?